Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Blc Chyong Guu Chaffinch 'Ta-Hsin' X Ctna Starrlyn 'Kate'
















I have previously posted a picture of this hybrid bloom on this blog.  I have two of these plants and this is the bloom from the second plant.  Amazingly, the blooms look quite different on the two plants. 

I was told regarding the first plant to bloom by someone who should know that the bloom did not look like the hybrid as described.  They implied that the plant may have been mislabeled.  Since I purchased the plant from a local orchid vendor, I thought that I would ask them.  I received the impression that they did not really want to be bothered with the question.  Finally, they did tell me that they had obtained the plant from another vendor at a show that did not want to transport the plant back with them.  They could not verify in any way whether the plant was really what the label claimed.  I have not been able to find any registration of this hybrid. 

Now that the second plant has bloomed and it looks quite different from the first, I wonder if one or both of these plants are mislabeled or whether there really can be this much variation between the appearance of blooms from one plant to another of the same hybrid.  I do like the appearance of this bloom much better than the first one.

This difference in appearance raised a number of questions.  How well do orchid vendors label their plants?  If you did not breed the hybrid, do you have any responsibility for proper representation of exactly what plant you are selling?  Can two plants of the same cross produce quite different blooms?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

No comments: