Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rhynchostylis Gigantea



I have six Rhynchostylis orchids that I purchased at the WOC two years ago.  The plants were one year old seedlings when I purchased them.  The picture here is the first time any of them bloomed in January 2010.  I also had a white one bloom.  Both blooms were weak, which I do not think is unusual for a plant this young and small.  The plant, which you cannot see in the picture, is only about two inches high and three inches wide.  Do you have one of this species?  What has been your experience with this plant?

This species typically blooms in December, January, or Februrary in South Florida.  It is easy to care for if you understand the care for Vandas since one cares for it much like a Vanda.  However, there is one big difference.  I would not recommend putting this plant in a wooden basket.  It does better in a plastic basket because the roots are very susceptible to rot.  The roots need to dry FAST and thoroughly.  The wooden basket will tend to hold water close to the roots for too long of a period.  Although, I have been successful with this plant in a wooden basket,  I need to make sure that if it is in a wooden basket that it gets constant air movement, especially in the morning after it is watered. 

No comments: