Saturday, January 9, 2010

Grammatophyllums -- Cold Weather - Know your Plant

My last post was about orchids and cold weather.  Well, we have had plenty of that these past few days in South Florida.  Those Callistas are just LOVING IT.

Remember how I said that you have to know your plant?  An example is Grammatophyllums.  I have had both G Scriptum and G Tigers Paw.  These plants typlically grow in warm areas of the world.  Day temps average in the mid 80s and night temps average in the mid 70's.  However, I have not had any problem with these orchids when the temperature goes lower, even into the forties  ---- however, I do not know about the 30's which we might see tonight  ----- maybe you should protect them if you can.

My experience has been that there is one thing that they definitely do not like.  They do not like being WET and COLD at the same time.  And the longer they are wet and cold the less they like it..  This is usually not much of problem in South Florida because when it is cold here it is also usually dry.  However, this weekend we are having rain and cold.  I suggest you try to keep your Grammatophyllums dry and warm.

If it has rained overnight on your Grammatophyllum, get it some place where it is above 60 degrees and dry.  Keep it dry until it drys completely.  I actually water my Grammatophyllum very little during the winter months.  From October through February, I water once every two weeks.  I also try to water on days that are above 70 degrees.

Be warned.  I have found that nothing will kill a Grammatophyllum faster than being cold and wet repeatedly or for long periods of time.

No comments: