Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Encyclia Moonlight Shadows


Encyclia Moonlight Shadows is a primary hybrid that is a cross between Encyclia alata and Encyclia cordigera. Most of the Encyclia’s that I have seen have not been very colorful, showy, or fragrant. However, this particular hybrid seems to have more intensity of color than many Encyclias, has a larger bloom than many, and is VERY fragrant. The fragrance of this orchid is its most attractive feature. The fragrance is quite strong in the mornings and is very pleasant. It reminds me most of a very expensive French perfume. This orchid is in bloom on my porch right now. Each morning I am greeted with the wonderful fragrance of its bloom.


Encyclia’s are well known for liking to be grown on the dry side. Some Encyclias like to have a very specific dry spell. However, on this particular one, I water it consistently the same all year round. However, I have it mounted on a plaque of tree fern fiber inside a slatted wooden basket. This type of mount dries out very fast which is what most Encyclias like. However, I have found that some in addition to this type of mount also like a period of almost no water or they will not bloom. This hybrid is not like that. I water this plant nearly every day except during cool periods in the winter. Many growers recommend that this hybrid to be grown in a pot with free draining media. I would say yes to the free draining media, but it is too humid in Miami to grow this in a pot. Growing in a pot will invite fungus and rot. However, as with everything orchids, if you grow it in a pot and it works for you, keep up the good work.

This particular hybrid likes a hot growing temperature. It is ideal for growing in South Florida. It also likes bright, indirect light. It may even take some direct sun, but I do not expose it to direct sun during the brightest part of the South Florida day. I only give it direct sunlight in the morning.

This particular blooming season, this orchid has four flowering spikes with between 8 and 12 blooms on each spike. Enjoy and good orchid growing!

No comments: