Thursday, October 14, 2010

Guaricattonia Starrlyn 'Kate'

I bought this orchid as a seedling two or three years ago.  I think it needs a little more light to bloom well.  It also probably prefers a little cooler weather than we have here in Miami, FL.  In spite of these two problems, the plant has bloomed for me. 

Guaricattonia Starrlyn 'Kate' is a hybrid that is a small plant with small flowers.  This makes it an easy plant to have for a backyard grower.  It does not take up much room and it is easy to move around.  When this one bloomed I moved it into my family room.  I normally hangs in a basket under my peach tree or under my Cattleya Pergola.  This plant takes fairly standard Cattleya culture with maybe a little higher light.  For someone growing it in South Florida, make sure that it drys out quickly.  If you have no cover from the rain, you may want to put it into a wooden basket with little or NO media.  During dry, hot spells you may need to water more often with this set up but you will save the plant from certain death by root rot.

Guaricatonia Starrlyn 'Kate' is a cross between Cattleytonia Capri and Guaritonia Why Not.  The species that are in this hybrid's background are Broughtonia sanguinea, Guarianthe aurantiaca, Cattleya intermedia, and Cattleya bicolor.

2 comments:

familyhcsllc said...

Have you thought about making a calender?

I LOVE orchids. They are difficult to grow.

I am impressed.

John King said...

I have not thought about a calendar. Is that an area you have an expertise?

Orchids are great. Some are actually very easy to grow. It just takes knowing what they require and providing that to them. Where you live and your weather can affect what types you can grow and how easy it is. In South Florida, all of warm growing tropical orchids are fairly easy to grow right in your backyard.