Friday, September 17, 2010

SFOS Silver Medal and AOS Award of Merit - Ascocenda Banjong Delight 'Prince Harry' AM/AOS
























I have owned this plant for four years and this is its first award.  It is hard to get all of the buds to open.  Many times the buds on the top third of the inflorescence will fail.  Not sure why.  Not thrips because I spray for those.  Maybe too dry.  I have made very sure this past year to give it plenty of water, especially in March, April, and the first half of May.  Maybe the gas powered lawnmower was polluting the bloom with its exhaust.  This past year I have banned the gas powered lawnmower from my growing area.  I only use electric powered equipment.  This plant also requires plenty of light and lots of fertilizer.  The color is gorgeous.  The flowers glisten in the sunlight.

While I have won Blue Ribbons before, this is my first AOS award.  The cultivar was named after my cat, Prince Harry.

No comments: