Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Phal Baldan's Geisha 'Happy Stripes'

I purchased this orchid four years ago.  At the time it was a bare root seedling.  It has bloomed twice before, but this is the first time (April 2010) that the blooms were of a good quality.  I probably could have gotten to this point quicker, but I have been experimenting with media for Phals.  This Phal has been in a plastic pot with expanded clay and charcoal.  Yes, I know.  That is a weird media for a Phal.  But the picture is the proof that it can be done.  However, I must admit I have finally accepted the inevitable and now pot my Phals in AAA New Zealand Sphagnum Moss.  It is really the only way to go if you want your plants to grow quickly, strong, and with healthy blooms.  The biggest downside to the the moss is that you will have to REPOT EVERY year right after the plant is finished blooming.

What do you grow your Phals in?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever grown in pro mix? I grow all of my Phals in it & rebloom 90-95% every year (the only exception being disease or stress.) It works great for me because my orchids winter over in my garage under lights & get watered very infrequently. It's also great in the hot SC summers. I get mine from Carter & Holmes in Newberry, SC.
Thanks for your earlier reply on the Blue Tahourdin. I would love to buy a seedling & will definitely keep an eye on your blog for future propogations.
Thanks again,
Melissa

John King said...

Anonymous,

I have never tried ProMix; however, I have wanted to try it. I found local sellers of it here in South Florida, but the only sold it in very large quantities. I think the product is very popular with large nursery growers. I am glad to know that I can get it from Carter & Holmes, hopefully in smaller quantities more suitable for a hobby grower like myself. Do you repot your Phals in ProMix every year?